Robert Goodwill was appointed Minister of State for Immigration at the Home Office on 15 July 2016. He was elected Conservative MP for Scarborough and Whitby in 2005.
Robert was educated at the Quaker Bootham School in York, and the University of Newcastle upon Tyne where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in agriculture in 1979.
Robert was elected as a Member of the European Parliament in 1999, serving in Brussels and Strasbourg until the 2004 European election. He was Deputy Leader of the Conservative MEPs during his term. He was elected to the House of Commons at the 2005 general election for Scarborough and Whitby.
After spending 18 months as a member of the transport select committee, he was appointed as a government whip in 2006 and promoted to the post of Shadow Roads Minister in the transport team in 2007. He was re-elected at the 2010 general election and appointed to the government as a whip with responsibility for HM Treasury and Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs business.
Robert Goodwill served as Minister of State at the Department for Transport from December 2015 until July 2016. Robert was previously Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Transport.
Career outside politics
Robert has been a farmer (since 1979) of 250 acres of land near Malton, which has been in his family since 1850. He has been the managing director of Mowthorpe Ltd since 1995, which offers environmentally friendly burials in the North Yorkshire countryside.
Robert is married and has 2 sons and a daughter.
Minister of State for Immigration
The minister is responsible for:
- immigration and border policy (including non-EU migration to the UK; family reunion; border security; detention and removal policy; asylum policy; post-Brexit immigration policy for EU nationals)
- foreign national offenders (management in immigration detention and deportation to country of origin)
- resettlement policy (including the operation of Home Office resettlement programmes: Syrian Vulnerable Persons Resettlement Scheme; Gateway; Mandate; and Vulnerable Children’s Resettlement Scheme)
- implementation of the Immigration Act 2016
- UK Visas and Immigration
- Immigration Enforcement
- Border Force
- Her Majesty’s Passport Office
- Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration
- Home Office immigration transparency data
- net migration statistics